Redding Township Meeting Unapproved Minutes
December 18, 2013
The meeting was called to order at 7:00PM followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Guests: DaleMajewski, Carolyn & Linn Pruden, Dave Gruber, Ken Lind, Jerry Burger
Board Members Present: Treasurer Gruber, Supervisor Krchmar, Clerk McBurney, Trustee Mann, Absent – Trustee Ashbaugh
Dale Majewski County Commissioner District #1 spoke on the following topics:
· Senior Services of Clare County received $7,000.00 from Emergency Food Program. The money will be used for emergency meals for seniors when centers are closed due to weather, power outages and other situations. This program is part of ‘Meals on Wheels’.
· Senate Bill 90 will provide Michigan residents that trade in their cars, boats or recreational vehicles toward the purchase of a new one the ability to deduct the trade-in ‘value’ from the total taxable value of the new vehicle. Cars and RV’s would be phased in over time, while boats could be immediate.
· Mid-Michigan Community Action Agency received notice that they will receive 1.2 million dollars in Heat Assistance allocations, which is deliverable fuel and new this year ‘metered’ deliverable fuel. This will enable them to hire back six full time employees that were laid off when the allocations were reduced. The income guidelines have not changed for this program. Contact Mid-Michigan Action Agency to fill out paperwork.
· Lincoln Township is hosting a Planning and Zoning Essentials Workshop on January 28, 2014 from 5:00pm – 9:00pm at the Lincoln Township Hall. Surrounding communities are welcome to participate. The cost is twenty five dollars per person. Registration must be done by January 15, 2014. Contact Carol Majewski – Clerk.
Motion to accept 11-20-2013 minutes made by Treasurer Gruber and supported by Trustee Mann. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
No one attended the meeting.
Treasurer’s report was reviewed.
· Sheriff Incident Report – none
· Fire Department – None
Activities – The last pot luck dinner of the year was held on December 14, 2013 at 1:00pm. This was a Christmas dinner. A good time was enjoyed by all. Pot lucks will resume in April 2014;
Collection of Can Goods was completed and nine families were given food basket and a twenty-five dollar gift certificate to be used for meat at Steve’s Market or Family Fare.
· Cemetery – Sign poles will be fixed in the Spring of 2014. Also, the ‘Fernwood’ sign will be moved over to allow tall vehicles to enter cemetery at both entrances.
· Spartan Stores – Sales and Use Tax Certificate – Sandy Mann will complete.
· MOU – This contract was approved, signed and mailed back.. Motion by Treasurer Gruber and supported by Trustee Mann. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Clerk McBurney and Treasurer Gruber. Motion carried
· Electrician Overview of Hall Lighting – Rescheduled
1.) Harrison Fire Department contract for 2014 was approved for $11,791.00. Motion by Trustee Mann and supported by Treasurer Gruber. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Clerk McBurney and Treasurer Gruber. Motion carried
2.) Board of Review – A meeting on December 11, 2013 at 5:00pm was held. The BOR approved four pre-exemptions, one poverty and one clerical error,
3.)BOR – Training for three people on February 27, 2014 will be held in Mt. Pleasant, MI. The cost for all three is two hundred thirty seven dollars. Motion by Clerk McBurney and supported by Treasurer Gruber. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Clerk McBurney and Treasurer Gruber. Motion carried.
4.) BOR Dates – March 4, 2014 Organization Meeting – 5:00pm
March 10, 2014 (Monday) 9:00am – 3:00pm
March 11, 2014 (Tuesday) 3:00pm – 9:00pm
March 13, 2014 (Thursday) Final Review with assessor 9:30am
5.) MOU (Emergency) rules for our Township. It was decided that all board members should come up with ideas for how our Township could help out residents with short term emergencies. This could be fires, weather related problems or power outages. The purpose of this is a smaller scale emergency than what EMD would handle. The ideas will be discussed at the next board meeting January 15, 2014.
6.) Treasurer Update – Tax collections are doing very well. Some people have used their credit cards to pay their taxes using the website.
7.) Waste Management – A reduction of the eight yard cans from eight to six would save almost two hundred dollars a month. Eight cans are not needed during the winter months. Motion made by Treasurer Gruber second by Trustee Mann. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
8.) MTA Meeting – Redding Township hosted the meeting on December 16, 2013. The Township provided coffee and donuts. Some information from this meeting was presented at this board meeting: A,) Road restrictions on gravel roads in the early spring, however, morning permits maybe issued; B.) Elimination of land line phones; C.) Election worker certification classes will be held summer of 2014; D.) Township Election Commission is composed of the township clerk, township supervisor, and the township treasurer; E.) New voter registration cards have to be created and mailed out to every registered voter. A company named ‘MERS’ in Kalamazoo, MI can do this for a Township cheaper than what the Township can. Since, Redding Township has about four hundred registered voters, the Township can join with other Townships to get a discount. Clerk McBurney will address this at the next clerk’s meeting in January 2014.
Jerry Burger played Santa Claus at the Christmas pot luck dinner. He stated that Trustee Mann deserves a lot of credit for what she does for the community. Also, he brought pictures from the event. An attempt will be made to put the pictures on our website.
Motion to approve bills 2268 – 2288, 9998(taxes) in the amount of $18,519.74. – Motion made by Trustee Mann second by Treasurer Gruber. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
Motion to adjourn made by Clerk McBurney and supported by Treasurer Gruber at 8:28pm. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.