March 15, 2017
8391 W. Temple Drive Harrison, MI 48625
The Meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm.
Followed by the Pledge of Allegiance
Board Members Present:Supervisor Borgula, Clerk Galloway, Treasurer Gruber, Trustee McGlashen and Trustee Scarbrough.
- Guests: Mike Galloway, Dale Majewski, Ed Uber, Linda Miller, Hazel Sponseller
- Public Comment:
- Guest Speakers: Dale Majewski – Clare County Commissioner: A couple of things were discussed at the County Commissioners meeting today. Fee scheduling – these are the paper type service fees, for example: Eviction Notices – all went up by $5.00. An Under Sheriff came in and requested a wall to be put up so there will be some segregation between the inmates and the deputies. That was approved. The Sheriff’s office also wanted to hire some more correction people, but we actually turned it down – so they will have to come back in with a little more justification for it.
- We currently have a hiring freeze. We are trying not to hire anyone else at the county.
- Budget Workshop is scheduled for April 4 & 5, 2017. We are also going to have Department heads there as well. This is open to the public and will be held at the Netherlands Meeting Hall.
- Treasurer Gruber asked Commissioner Majewski if he knew when it started that the Townships signed an annual contract with Equalization to maintain tax records. Treasurer Gruber said that we do not pay the County Treasurer’s Office or the County Clerk’s Office to maintain our records, and she finds it difficult to pay them $800 plus ($1 per parcel) for information that we (treasurer and assessor) are providing to Equalization. They have to maintain those records anyway, so why are we being charged? Commissioner Majewski said he would research it and see if he could find an answer.
- Approval of Meeting Minutes: 02/15/2017 Motion to approve minutes as written made by Supervisor Borgula and Supported by Treasurer Gruber – All in favor – Motion carried.
- Clerk Report:
Election Equipment Update: Attended two more demos – Hart and ES&S. Didn’t care for Hart Election Equipment. All the clerks at the next Clerk’s meeting will be voting on which one they would like to use. Lori Martin, Clare County Clerk, will take all of our choices into consideration when making the choice for the County.
- Sheriff’s Incidents: 35 calls
BOR Update: 11 Total – BOR found a couple of requests they need to discuss with Twp. Assessor, Julie Tatro, at the meeting Thursday, March 16, 2017.
Consumers Energy Update: A representative from Consumers Energy called Supervisor Borgula. Representative explained re: Smart Meters – that the type of energy used to operate the meters is the same type of energy used by a cell phone tower. It doesn’t come into your house and you won’t hear any humming – it is totally safe. Representative wants to attend the MTA meeting to put all the rumors to rest. They are also saying that by switching to the Smart Meters, you should not see any increase in your monthly bill. Before putting in the Smart Meters, they have to try to contact residences 3 times prior.
Transfer Station Sign Update: Received signs and they are to be put on the Recycle Bin. Also discussed need for additional signs for the Roll Offs. Mary will check into this.
Budget Workshop Date: March 29, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. Supervisor Borgula will provide lunch. The Workshop is open to the public.
Adjust Current Budget: Adjustments made to current budget are as follows – Township Board received $1,000 from Assessing and Cemetery received $600 from Treasurer’s budget.
Motion was made to allow the adjustments to the current budget by Treasurer Gruber and Supported by Trustee McGlashen. All in favor – Motion carried
Contracts – Grounds / Hall Cleaning / Transfer Station:
Assessing Contract – Motion was made to accept MVW Contract (2-year) starting June 22, 2017 with typo corrections made by Trustee Scarbrough and Supported by Trustee Gruber. All in favor – Motion carried.
Grounds Bid: ABid was receivedfrom Temple Lawn Care for $2875.00 for the 2017 season; asking for 7 payments of $410.71 with payments starting in April and ending in November. The final check will be held by Clerk until the final Fall clean-up has been completed.
Motion was made to accept the contract as written made by Supervisor Borgula and Supported by Trustee McGlashen. All in favor – Motion carried
Hall Cleaning: Hall Cleaner has requested an additional $20.00 a month for cleaning of the hall. Motion was made to approve the additional $20.00 a month, making it $120.00 per month by Clerk Galloway and Supported by Treasurer Gruber. All in favor – Motion carried.
Transfer Station Attendant: Attendant has requested an additional $25.00. Motion was made to accept the additional $25.00 a month, making it $425.00 per month, made by Trustee McGlashen and Supported by Supervisor Borgula. All in favor – Motion carried.
Transfer Station – gate repairs: The gate at the transfer station is in need of paint and repairs – Ray Borgula will sand the rust off and paint and repair the gate. Also the gate by the hall is in need of paint and repairs – Ray will add the support wire and paint this gate as well.
Letters for Hall Sign: The board discussed lost letters, due to high winds, and several ways of fixing the sign – Supervisor Borgula is going to talk to Ray, as well as Treasurer Gruber to try and come up with a solution. Decision tabled.
Pre-Approve BOR checks: Motion was made to approve up to $744.00 for BOR checks made by Treasurer Gruber and Supported by Trustee Scarbrough. All in favor –Motion carried.
Clerk’s Printer: Clerk’s printer is very old and not working well. Motion was made to approve up to $150.00 to replace the Clerk’s printer by Supervisor Borgula and Supported by Treasurer Gruber. All in favor – Motion carried.
Public Comment: None
Approval of Bills:
Motion was made to approve checks 3136 – 3159 equaling $5,892.04 by Trustee McGlashen and Supported by Treasurer Gruber. All in favor – Motion carried.
Motion to adjourn: Made by Trustee Scarbrough and Supported by Treasurer Gruber. All in favor – Motion carried.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:43p
TGalloway – Clerk