Redding Township Meeting Unapproved Minutes
January 16, 2013
The meeting was called to order at 7:05PM followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Guests: Dale Majewski, Dave Gruber, Linn and Carolyn Pruden, Marylou Gonyea, Marlene
McGlashen, Michael Trzcienski, Nancy Scarbrough, Richard and Eleanore Warner
Board Members Present: Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, Supervisor Krchmar, Clerk
McBurney, Trustee Ashbaugh
Motion to accept the agenda with amendments of ‘JAMBOREE’ was made by Trustee
Mann. Supported by Trustee Ashbaugh. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Trustee
Ashbaugh, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
Motion to accept 12-19-12 minutes with corrections made by Trustee Ashbaugh and
supported by Trustee Mann. Board members in favor: Trustee Ashbaugh, Trustee Mann,
Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
Motion to accept 1-07-13 minutes (Special Meeting – Recruiting candidates for treasurer and
clerk) by Trustee Mann. Supported by Trustee Ashbaugh. Board members in favor: Trustee
Ashbaugh, Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
Motion to accept 1-14-13 minutes (Special Meeting – Accepting resignation of Mary
Borgula. Appointing Sandra Gruber as Treasurer and James McBurney as clerk. Both were
sworn in by taking the oath). Board members in favor: Trustee Ashbaugh, Trustee Mann,
Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
Guest Speaker Dale Majewski introduced himself as the new County Commissioner District
#1, replacing Jerry Burger. County commission elected Jim Chelios as chairmen and Rick
Laboda as vice-chairmen. Commissioner Majewski was given appointments for the
following: Parks & Recreation; 911 Advisory Board LEPC(Local Emergency Planning
Comm.; Central Michigan District Health Department. Lake Commission appointments for
Crooked Lake, Eight Point Lake and Perch Lake.
BOC going to one meeting per month on a trial basis. BOC meetings will be 3rd Wednesday
of each month at 9:00am.
Review of County Purchasing Policy – Policy to be distributed to all department heads for
Dale is looking into increasing band width using Trans Canada communication towers.
Dale will look into replacing storm warning sirens. He will try to get a quote for Redding
Treasurer’s report was reviewed.
* Senior citizen lunch schedule for Clare County was presented for the coming months.
Also, senior citizens can get free help preparing 2012 income taxes. Both notices are
posted on the outside bulletin boards.
* Supervisor discussed that he has to answer the DEQ regarding a permit for a seawall
on the Muskegon River.
* A request was made from a minister in Grandville, MI to find out family information
about a lady that is buried in Fernwood cemetery. She was cremated and buried about
twenty years ago.
* Sheriff Incident Report read.
* Outside lighting at the hall has to be improved by more efficient light bulbs or motion
detected lights, to provide bright light during the dark.
* Trustee Mann stated that the city of Cadillac is providing free food and groceries for
the needy. People in Redding Twp. Can take advantage of this program. The notice is
posted on the outside bulletin board.
* Supervisor Krchmar stated that United Rescue runs in our area has risen about 50%.
They could use some more financial support to expand their services and be more
efficient. The northern part of Clare County seems to prefer United Rescue over
MMR. MMR wants all of Clare County. However, MMR has complaints against
them for responding in a timely manner and the experience level of employees. The
current situation is a ‘911’ call can bring either company. A person can’t choose the
responding emergency service.
* Supervisor Krchmar spoke about the bridge replacement at the park. This would have
to be done before the park/campground could be opened according to the DNR.
However, Redding Twp. would have to pay a lot of money that is not available at this
time. More negotiations with SOS/DNR would be necessary before anything could be
1. The purchase of the new edition of QuickBooks last month has a discrepancy with the
check amount and the invoice amount. The difference is about ten dollars. Clerk McBurney will resolve this.
2. Waste Management – The Twp has a credit of about $1000.00 with this company.
Any future bills to us will be credited with the $1000.00.
3. DEQ – Transfer Station Determined all types of materials that go through the transfer
1. New Board members were introduced at the meeting.
2. Furnace filters have to be replaced monthly.
3. Outside lighting during the night using new bulbs has to be determined.
4. Motion to pay $79.00 for BOR training for one BOR member by Trustee Mann and
supported by Clerk McBurney. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Trustee
Ashbaugh, Treasurer Gruber, Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
5. Jamboree will be held April 2, 2013 – September 30, 2013 every Tuesday from 6-9pm.
Motion to approve bills 2051-2063 in the amount of $3632.57 made by Trustee Mann
and supported by Trustee Ashbaugh. With additions check number 2050 for MTA in the
amount of $237 and electronic Intuit QuickBooks in the amount of $612.86. Board
members in favor: Trustee Mann, Trustee Ashbaugh, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk
McBurney. Motion carried.
Public comment was made.
Outside Lighting, furnace filters, check fire extinguishers, load audit on Twp. web sight, sign
for special meetings.
Motion to adjourn made by Clerk McBurney and supported by Trustee Ashbaugh at 9:02PM