Redding Township Meeting Unapproved Minutes
March 20, 2013
The meeting was called to order at 7:01PM followed by the Pledge of Allegiance.
Guests: DaleMajewski, Linn and Carolyn Pruden, Marylou Gonyea, John Pruden, Bonnie & Dale Pierce, Mary Borgula, Marlene McGlashen, Sgt. Garchow
Board Members Present: Treasurer Gruber, Supervisor Krchmar, Clerk McBurney, Trustee Mann, Trustee Ashbaugh – (absent)
Motion to accept the agenda by Trustee Mann, supported by Treasurer Gruber. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
Motion to accept 02-20-2013 minutes made by Treasurer Gruber and supported by Trustee Mann. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
Motion to accept 02-28-2013 Special Meeting minutes made by Treasurer Gruber and supported by Clerk McBurney. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
Motion to accept 03-08-2013 Special Meeting minutes made by Clerk McBurney and supported by Trustee Mann. Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
Special Comment – Supervisor Krchmar gave a complete overview of the United Rescue Ambulance Authority going out of business. He explained how this could impact the Township. A representing attorney has been hired and is in the process of totally separating us from URAA and their financial problems.
Dale Majewski County Commissioner District #1 spoke on the following topics: There is a hiring freeze in the County of Clare. Temporary workers can be used for employee sick leave and/or departures.
MMR ambulance service is offering subscriptions for $49/year. This covers anyone living at the residence. MMR will honor URAA subscriptions for six months.
Board of Commissioners appointed Mike Tobin to the advisory position for the office of Services to the Aging.
The Sheriff’s Department is offering a free phone app to residents of Clare County. This app is used for notification. It will notify you, the public, of crime going on in the area, lost or missing people, weather warnings and other worthy information. Investigative reports will not be on this app.
Mary Kushion – Health Officer for the Central Michigan District Health Department is retiring September 13, 2013. She has 20 years of service.
Sgt. Garchow came for our board meeting. They are going to try and attend as many as possible in the future. The township will see a few more patrols during the summer months.
Treasurer’s report was reviewed.
Special Announcements – Mary Borgula was introduced as the new Deputy Clerk. Dave Gruber was introduced as the Deputy Treasurer.
· Fire department incident report was not received.. (Wasn’t received)
· Sheriff Incident Report was reviewed.
· Michigan Chloride Sales, INC sent a brochure stating prices /gallon for brining dirt roads
Committee Reports: (Sandy Mann)
Pot Luck dinners will begin April 27, 2013 at the Township Hall. Doors will open at 4:30pm. Dinner is at 5:00pm.
Roadside Pickup Project will be in May. Just a Reminder.
A generator for the Hall is possible. The Harrison Fire Department has to be contacted about this generator becoming operational.
State Park issue had some more discussion between Sandy Mann and Terry (DNR) from Traverse City. The discussion of this Park will be ongoing as to what will be accomplished if anything . Some ideas are: ORV Trail, a bridge for ATV’S, Snowmobiles and people. Currently, some trees are being harvested near the old campsites.
1. Outside lighting for the hall has new high efficiency light bulbs. An electrician guesstimate that was received last month will be considered in the new budget.
2. United Rescue Ambulance Authority – was discussed earlier in the meeting.
3. New Sign – Dave Gruber was absent, but materials for the sign have been acquired.
4. Board of Review – March, 2013 is complete. Only a few people over two days came in. One change was made on the assessed value of a parcel. Julie Tatro(assessor) was present for some of the two days, which was helpful to the BOR.
5. New flags for cemetery and Township Hall will be purchased from the VFW in Marion, MI. Mary Borgula is getting quotations for cost. April’s board meeting will allocate the funds to purchase the flags.
6. Internet for the hall is too expensive at this time. The amount of usage can’t justify the cost. This issue will be revisited in the future.
· 1.) Motion to approve contracts for Landscaping, Transfer Station and Hall cleaning was accepted by Clerk McBurney, second by Trustee Mann. These new contracts will renew every year automatically, unless a change is requested. John Chambers was awarded the landscaping contract. Linn Pruden was awarded the transfer station attendant contract. Ginger Ashbaugh was awarded the hall cleaning contract. Board members in favor: Treasurer Gruber, Trustee Mann, Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
· 2.) Budget Workshop will be held April 8, 2013 at 5:00pm in the Township hall.
· 3.) Treasurer Gruber that the Redding Township web sight is operational and now works with Internet Explorer 9 & 10. Bill Wallace will be responsible for the operational issues of the web sight. The price is sixty dollars ($60)/year.
· 4.) An IRS tax payment for December 2012 wasn’t electronically transferred. The problem was solved by transmitting the missing payment to the IRS on March 18, 2013.
· 5.) Treasurer Gruber reported that Redding Townshipwill accept taxpayer’s credit cards to pay property taxes (3% Courtesy Fee to taxpayer, no charge to Township). This will start summer of 2013.
· 6.) Office and Hall supplies will be discussed at April’s board meeting. Trustee Ashbaugh needs to give some input on this. The idea is to purchase in bulk in order to get better value and keep the hall supplied.
· 7.) Motion to approve purchase of 200 Dump Cards for Transfer Station by Sandy Mann, second by Treasurer Gruber. The cost is $17.00. Board members in favor: Treasurer Gruber, Trustee Mann, Clerk McBurney. Motion carried
Motion to approve bills 2089-2113 in the amount of $6,122,03 made by Trustee Mann, second by Treasurer Gruber Board members in favor: Trustee Mann, Treasurer Gruber, and Clerk McBurney. Motion carried.
Public comment was made.
1.) Mary Borgula wants to have a scheduled exercise class in the hall. It would be conducted twice a week. Days and times will be determined.
2.) Treasurer Gruber would like to conduct a Craft Show in the Township Hall. This(these) shows would be held spring/summer 2013. More information on who would participate to follow.
3.) Transfer Station will be open Easter Sunday 3/31/2013.
Action Items – NONE
Recognition awards – Carolyn Pruden was formally recognized for her work on cemetery work and record keeping. Linn Pruden was formally recognized for all his hard work he does for the Township. Plaques were giving to these very deserving residents.
Motion to adjourn made by Clerk McBurney and supported by Trustee Mann at 9:20pm.